1/2 an onion
1 green capsicum
1 stick of celery
4 cloves of garlic, minced
700g chicken thighs
1 jalapeno, finely diced
1 tbsp flour
1L Chicken stock
4 bay leaves
1tsp dried thyme
2 smoked sausages
Salt & Pepper
Steamed rice (to serve)
Cajun spice mix (see below)
Cajun Spice Mix
2 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp coarse salt
2 tsp course black pepper
2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Dice onion, celery and capsicum. Crush garlic. Finely dice jalapeno. Slice okra and sausage.
- Prep the Ozpig and a pan for medium high heat. Add some oil to the pan and sear chicken thighs seasoned with salt, pepper and Cajun spice. Cook for around 4-5 minutes until crispy and browned the turn over and repeat on the other side. Once cooked through, deglaze your pan with some beer and set aside.
- While cooking your chicken, heat the camp oven or casserole dish with oil and bring to a high temperature until the oil begins to smoke. Add flour and cook out until you have a nice dark roux. Make sure to stir this often as it will burn easily.
- Add the onion, celery and capsicum to the roux, cook for a few minutes until vegetables have softened. Add the garlic and jalapenos and cook out again for a few minutes.
- Add some beer and cook out into a nice smooth, thick gravy. Add your chicken stock and stir until smooth.
- Add your chicken, sausage, okra, thyme and bay leaves then season fairly heavily with salt and pepper.
- Cover with a lid and allow to cook out for an hour or so (or longer) on a low heat.
- Serve with white steamed rice and sliced spring onions.
Product Specification Table
|Specification||Traveller||Series 2||Big Pig|
(ground to top of chimney)
(ground to cooking surface)
(side to side)
|Cooking Surface||35cm x 25cm
|26cm diameter round plate &
34cm x 24cm large plate
|49cm x 21cm
Removable stove top
|Door Opening||26cm Diameter||26cm Diameter||41cm x 16cm|
|Chimney Length||3 x 350mm pieces||3 x 300mm pieces||3 x 450mm pieces|
THERE'S AN OZPIG FOR EVERYONE!
Choosing your Ozpig is just the beginning...
TIPS AND TRICKS
GET TO KNOW YOUR OZPIG
Ozpig stoves are tailor made for the outdoors. We created the Ozpig with a passion for the outdoors and a love for outdoor cooking and heating. With our unique open door, open top design, we have created outdoor stoves that give you flexibility in cooking while maximizing heat for your outdoor space.
OZPIG OVEN SMOKER BEGINNERS GUIDE
We're excited you're joining us on this journey and we want to provide you with expert guidance, tips and tricks. Here at the Ozpig Oven Smoker Beginners Guide, you'll find everything from temperature and time charts, to understanding different types of fuel and how they work. We're glad you're here, simply click the tiles below to get started!
3 YEAR WARRANTY
BUILT TOUGH TO WITHSTAND AUSSIE CONDITIONSThe Ozpig is born and bred in Australia and we know just how tough the conditions can be. With this knowledge behind us we’ve developed a 3 year limited structural warranty to give you piece of mind when it comes to buying your Ozpig. Unlike other cheaper products on the market only offering a 1 year warranty, we stand behind our product and know with the right care, your Ozpig will last as long you. Buy with Ozpig knowing you’re covered.
An Aussie Story
The Ozpig is a clever Aussie invention created by a family with a love of the great outdoors. Hearty appetites and a passion for travel inspired the Shepherd family to develop a unique, multipurpose cooker that offers convenience and endless cooking options.
What our customers say
Exactly what I was looking for- I was looking for something wood-fired and portable that I could take anywhere to boil water and cook a meal on and that could also be my home BBQ. The Pig is simpler and safer than a camp fire and a great back-up at home if everything goes down. I’ve only done BBQs so far and I’m enjoying the added wood-smoke taste. Looking forward to cooking more sophisticated meals down the track.
Series 2 - a genuine belter!Series 2 - a genuine belter! Loving my series 2! During my "burning in" tests it really does belt out some heat, one of the primary reasons for the purchase. Guaging heat, I've cooked a couple of hamburgers and some stove top coffee all with great success. My only suggestion is when you've finally decided to treat yourself to a piggy, super treat yourself and get as many of the accessories as you want at the same time. You'll want to use em and I guarantee you'll go back and buy them anyway. No sell, thats a fact, so go the full hog! (thats a pun) Great service, fast post and I'm genuinely looking forward to the colder weather kicking in.
Great bit of kitWe have the ozpig series 2 under a patio. Only just bought the house and the pig so we haven't got it in a specific final spot just yet. But having these extra offset and pieces helps keep smell and smoke (not that there is much using nice ironbark) definitely recommend this kit for use under a patio. Plus fast and easy postage made buying them easy as. 5 Stars
Big pig - loving itWe love our big pig . It’s so beautiful to sit around having the large opening and we are loving the smoker having started making beef jerky . We had a baby pig but this one is hands down the best