4 pork loin chops (around 1” thick – too thin and they will dry out)
1 cup plain flour
4 free-range eggs (beaten)
2 cups Japanese Panko breadcrumbs
1L canola oil
1 large potato
1 small brown onion
Good quality salt flakes
Golden Curry (medium hot version is the best flavour/heat ratio)
1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Peel potato, onion and carrot
- Chop potatoes and carrots into 1” irregular chunks (chop on various angles so they’re random shapes of similar size – this is called Rangiri (random shape cuts). It adds to the visual appeal of the dish and more surface area allows for a quicker cook!
- Slice onion into 1cm thick strips
- Fire up the Ozpig and get the fire cranking!
- As close to the fire as you can get (either using the Ozpig Stove Plate or the Big Pig Charcoal Plate) stir-fry vegetables in 1 tbsp vegetable oil for a 3-4 minutes
- Add 500ml water and bring to boil then add broken up Golden Curry pieces
- Place the Flat Iron BBQ Plate onto the Ozpig, stir until curry is all combined, then with the lid on, simmer (medium heat) the curry for 20 minutes to allow flavours to infuse
- Handy Hint: To reduce the temperature of the curry simmering and achieve the perfect medium heat, simply reduce the amount of burning fuel under the pot.
Fried Pork Cutlet
- Season pork cutlets with salt (both sides).
- Tenderise cutlets with 5 stabs using a tenderiser tool (or a handful of skewers bunched together if you don’t have the tool (They’re readily available on eBay and come in handy for tendering most meat cuts).
- If your pork has a thick fat cap, slice it along the cap (through until just before it touches the meat) 5 times. As the cutlet cooks, it will stop the cutlet twisting and buckling as the fat renders and shrinks).
- Bring oil to perfect frying temperature (170C/340F) by either using the Ozpig Stove Plate or the Big Pig Charcoal Plate. If you don’t have a temperature probe, put a wooden chopstick in the hot oil and if you see little bubbles coming off the chopstick, you are ready to start frying.
- Set up three mixing bowls in a line (plain flour, beaten eggs and panko breadcrumbs).
- Each breadcrumb gets tossed in plain flour, then coated in egg (and shaken to remove excess), back into the flour, then back into the egg mix and finally into the panko breadcrumbs).
- Fry pork for five minutes (flipping half-way to ensure an even fry).
- Your cutlets are done once they are golden in colour (you will also hear the sound of the oil change as once the cutlet is fully cooked, it will start pushing out moisture, which causes a change in sound of the frying oil).
- Fry your cutlets one at a time to master the skill. Practice makes perfect.
- Once cooked, stand each cutlet on their side in a metal tray on a cooling rack (this allows residual oil to drip off and improves the crunch factor!).
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before slicing into 2cm strips.
- Serve with steamed rice and the vegetable curry.
Product Specification Table
|Specification||Traveller||Series 2||Big Pig|
(ground to top of chimney)
(ground to cooking surface)
(side to side)
|Cooking Surface||35cm x 25cm
|26cm diameter round plate &
34cm x 24cm large plate
|49cm x 21cm
Removable stove top
|Door Opening||26cm Diameter||26cm Diameter||41cm x 16cm|
|Chimney Length||3 x 350mm pieces||3 x 300mm pieces||3 x 450mm pieces|
THERE'S AN OZPIG FOR EVERYONE!
Choosing your Ozpig is just the beginning...
TIPS AND TRICKS
GET TO KNOW YOUR OZPIG
Ozpig stoves are tailor made for the outdoors. We created the Ozpig with a passion for the outdoors and a love for outdoor cooking and heating. With our unique open door, open top design, we have created outdoor stoves that give you flexibility in cooking while maximizing heat for your outdoor space.
OZPIG OVEN SMOKER BEGINNERS GUIDE
We're excited you're joining us on this journey and we want to provide you with expert guidance, tips and tricks. Here at the Ozpig Oven Smoker Beginners Guide, you'll find everything from temperature and time charts, to understanding different types of fuel and how they work. We're glad you're here, simply click the tiles below to get started!
3 YEAR WARRANTY
BUILT TOUGH TO WITHSTAND AUSSIE CONDITIONSThe Ozpig is born and bred in Australia and we know just how tough the conditions can be. With this knowledge behind us we’ve developed a 3 year limited structural warranty to give you piece of mind when it comes to buying your Ozpig. Unlike other cheaper products on the market only offering a 1 year warranty, we stand behind our product and know with the right care, your Ozpig will last as long you. Buy with Ozpig knowing you’re covered.
An Aussie Story
The Ozpig is a clever Aussie invention created by a family with a love of the great outdoors. Hearty appetites and a passion for travel inspired the Shepherd family to develop a unique, multipurpose cooker that offers convenience and endless cooking options.
What our customers say
Exactly what I was looking for- I was looking for something wood-fired and portable that I could take anywhere to boil water and cook a meal on and that could also be my home BBQ. The Pig is simpler and safer than a camp fire and a great back-up at home if everything goes down. I’ve only done BBQs so far and I’m enjoying the added wood-smoke taste. Looking forward to cooking more sophisticated meals down the track.
Series 2 - a genuine belter!Series 2 - a genuine belter! Loving my series 2! During my "burning in" tests it really does belt out some heat, one of the primary reasons for the purchase. Guaging heat, I've cooked a couple of hamburgers and some stove top coffee all with great success. My only suggestion is when you've finally decided to treat yourself to a piggy, super treat yourself and get as many of the accessories as you want at the same time. You'll want to use em and I guarantee you'll go back and buy them anyway. No sell, thats a fact, so go the full hog! (thats a pun) Great service, fast post and I'm genuinely looking forward to the colder weather kicking in.
Great bit of kitWe have the ozpig series 2 under a patio. Only just bought the house and the pig so we haven't got it in a specific final spot just yet. But having these extra offset and pieces helps keep smell and smoke (not that there is much using nice ironbark) definitely recommend this kit for use under a patio. Plus fast and easy postage made buying them easy as. 5 Stars
Big pig - loving itWe love our big pig . It’s so beautiful to sit around having the large opening and we are loving the smoker having started making beef jerky . We had a baby pig but this one is hands down the best