350g pitted prunes
4 cups water
100g dried apple slices
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground allspice
3/4 cups sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour (1/4 cup extra for kneading)
140g pure vegetable shortening 1/2 cup cold water mixed with 1/2 teaspoon; cider vinegar
2 to 3 tablespoons cinnamon sugar (to top pie)
1/4 cup custard powder
2 1/2 cups (625ml) milk
2 tbsp caster sugar
- Place prunes and water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil on the Ozpig.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until prunes have softened about 10 minutes.
- Remove the prunes with a slotted spoon and drain well. Add the apple slices to the prune liquid and simmer until softened- 15 minutes.
- Drain apple well, discarding the liquid; dice the apples and reserve. Mash the prunes. Stir in the cinnamon, vanilla and allspice. Add sugar to taste. Stir in the diced apples. Cool.
- Place 2 cups of the flour in processor. 2. Chop vegetable shortening into cubes, add to processor
- Process till fine breadcrumbs.
- Gradually add in water-vinegar mixture, processing till combined.
- Flour bench, remove dough to bench, knead the dough gently until supple, divide it in half, and gather it into two rounds. If not using immediately. wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate. Remove the dough from the refrigerator 20 to 30 minutes before rolling it out.
- To assemble and bake the pie: Preheat Ozpig Oven Smoker to 160 degrees Celsius
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one round of dough info a circle about 54-inch thick and large enough to line a 12-inch pizza pan, or pie dish. We used a small cast iron dish & 2nd pie dish.
- Gently press the dough into the pan. Prick the crust in several places with fork. Spread the filling evenly over the crust. Roll out the top crust and place it over the filling.
- Trim any overhanging dough and flute the edges of the pie.
- Use the points of kitchen scissors or a sharp knife to make decorative slashes in the top crust, Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake on the middle shelf of the smoker until golden brown, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool, enjoy with custard.
- Place custard mixture, sugar and remaining milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat on the Ozpig, stirring constantly until custard comes to the boil and thickens. Simmer, stirring for 1 minute.
Product Specification Table
|Specification||Traveller||Series 2||Big Pig|
(ground to top of chimney)
(ground to cooking surface)
(side to side)
|Cooking Surface||35cm x 25cm
|26cm diameter round plate &
34cm x 24cm large plate
|49cm x 21cm
Removable stove top
|Door Opening||26cm Diameter||26cm Diameter||41cm x 16cm|
|Chimney Length||3 x 350mm pieces||3 x 300mm pieces||3 x 450mm pieces|
THERE'S AN OZPIG FOR EVERYONE!
Choosing your Ozpig is just the beginning...
TIPS AND TRICKS
GET TO KNOW YOUR OZPIG
Ozpig stoves are tailor made for the outdoors. We created the Ozpig with a passion for the outdoors and a love for outdoor cooking and heating. With our unique open door, open top design, we have created outdoor stoves that give you flexibility in cooking while maximizing heat for your outdoor space.
OZPIG OVEN SMOKER BEGINNERS GUIDE
We're excited you're joining us on this journey and we want to provide you with expert guidance, tips and tricks. Here at the Ozpig Oven Smoker Beginners Guide, you'll find everything from temperature and time charts, to understanding different types of fuel and how they work. We're glad you're here, simply click the tiles below to get started!
3 YEAR WARRANTY
BUILT TOUGH TO WITHSTAND AUSSIE CONDITIONSThe Ozpig is born and bred in Australia and we know just how tough the conditions can be. With this knowledge behind us we’ve developed a 3 year limited structural warranty to give you piece of mind when it comes to buying your Ozpig. Unlike other cheaper products on the market only offering a 1 year warranty, we stand behind our product and know with the right care, your Ozpig will last as long you. Buy with Ozpig knowing you’re covered.
An Aussie Story
The Ozpig is a clever Aussie invention created by a family with a love of the great outdoors. Hearty appetites and a passion for travel inspired the Shepherd family to develop a unique, multipurpose cooker that offers convenience and endless cooking options.
What our customers say
Exactly what I was looking for- I was looking for something wood-fired and portable that I could take anywhere to boil water and cook a meal on and that could also be my home BBQ. The Pig is simpler and safer than a camp fire and a great back-up at home if everything goes down. I’ve only done BBQs so far and I’m enjoying the added wood-smoke taste. Looking forward to cooking more sophisticated meals down the track.
Series 2 - a genuine belter!Series 2 - a genuine belter! Loving my series 2! During my "burning in" tests it really does belt out some heat, one of the primary reasons for the purchase. Guaging heat, I've cooked a couple of hamburgers and some stove top coffee all with great success. My only suggestion is when you've finally decided to treat yourself to a piggy, super treat yourself and get as many of the accessories as you want at the same time. You'll want to use em and I guarantee you'll go back and buy them anyway. No sell, thats a fact, so go the full hog! (thats a pun) Great service, fast post and I'm genuinely looking forward to the colder weather kicking in.
Great bit of kitWe have the ozpig series 2 under a patio. Only just bought the house and the pig so we haven't got it in a specific final spot just yet. But having these extra offset and pieces helps keep smell and smoke (not that there is much using nice ironbark) definitely recommend this kit for use under a patio. Plus fast and easy postage made buying them easy as. 5 Stars
Big pig - loving itWe love our big pig . It’s so beautiful to sit around having the large opening and we are loving the smoker having started making beef jerky . We had a baby pig but this one is hands down the best