We smashed our love of porchetta together with this classic Thai dish and created an absolute stunner! The crispy pork belly matches perfectly with the red curry and green peppercorns, not too spicy, fresh and spicy but not overly hot!
1 can coconut cream
Tin red curry paste (Maesri brand is the best)
3 tbsp fish sauce (can substitute Vegan Fish Sauce)
2 tbsp palm sugar
2 tsp crushed chilli (make this curry as mild or hot as you want!)
1 can coconut milk ½ head of broccoli (cut into pieces)
60g fresh green peppercorns (many Asian grocers have these in a jar with salt water)
15 kaffir lime leaves Crispy Pork Belly - 20cm rolled pork loin (skin on – tied)p> 1 cup salt
Belly 20cm rolled pork loin (skin on – tied)
1 cup salt
Crispy Pork Belly – Takes 2 days
- Most rolled pork belly comes scored with a knife already, if it’s not, score it yourself every 2cm.
- Poke 1,000 tiny holes into the pork belly skin.
- Cover skin with heavy layer of salt.
- Onto wire rack in a pan.
- Dry overnight in fridge (make sure there’s plenty of air circulation around it).
- Fire up chimney of lump charcoal.
- Set up BigPig with rotisserie attachment.
- Fill top basket with hot lump charcoal.
- Thread pork onto Ozpig rotisserie rod and spear with both forks so it’s secure.
- Cook over raging lump charcoal until skin crackles (15mins approx.)
- Remove ¾ of the lump charcoal (put it inside the BigPig).
- The remaining charcoal will continue to cook the pork without burning the crackling.
- Once internal 185F, rest pork on bench for 5mins.
- Slice into inch thick strips.
- Chop pork belly into inch cubes.
- Wok onto BigPig and heat ¼ cup coconut cream until cream starts to separate.
- Make sure you stir the cream if it goes darker to avoid it burning.
- Add curry paste and stir well.
- Add chilli and broccoli.
- Once curry paste is fragrant, add fish sauce and palm sugar. Stir for 1minutes.
- Add pork, peppercorns (break them into smaller chunks about a matchstick in length and lime leaves.
- Add remaining coconut cream and coconut milk.
- Stir for another 5 minutes until well combined.
- Taste curry and add more sugar (for sweetness) or fish sauce (for saltiness/umami).
- Serve rice freshly steamed jasmine rice and roti bread.
- Handy Hint: This dish is best served straight away whilst the pork belly is still crispy, although eating it the next day is just as tasty!
Product Specification Table
|Specification||Traveller||Series 2||Big Pig|
(ground to top of chimney)
(ground to cooking surface)
(side to side)
|Cooking Surface||35cm x 25cm
|26cm diameter round plate &
34cm x 24cm large plate
|49cm x 21cm
Removable stove top
|Door Opening||26cm Diameter||26cm Diameter||41cm x 16cm|
|Chimney Length||3 x 350mm pieces||3 x 300mm pieces||3 x 450mm pieces|
THERE'S AN OZPIG FOR EVERYONE!
Choosing your Ozpig is just the beginning...
TIPS AND TRICKS
GET TO KNOW YOUR OZPIG
Ozpig stoves are tailor made for the outdoors. We created the Ozpig with a passion for the outdoors and a love for outdoor cooking and heating. With our unique open door, open top design, we have created outdoor stoves that give you flexibility in cooking while maximizing heat for your outdoor space.
OZPIG OVEN SMOKER BEGINNERS GUIDE
We're excited you're joining us on this journey and we want to provide you with expert guidance, tips and tricks. Here at the Ozpig Oven Smoker Beginners Guide, you'll find everything from temperature and time charts, to understanding different types of fuel and how they work. We're glad you're here, simply click the tiles below to get started!
3 YEAR WARRANTY
BUILT TOUGH TO WITHSTAND AUSSIE CONDITIONSThe Ozpig is born and bred in Australia and we know just how tough the conditions can be. With this knowledge behind us we’ve developed a 3 year limited structural warranty to give you piece of mind when it comes to buying your Ozpig. Unlike other cheaper products on the market only offering a 1 year warranty, we stand behind our product and know with the right care, your Ozpig will last as long you. Buy with Ozpig knowing you’re covered.
An Aussie Story
The Ozpig is a clever Aussie invention created by a family with a love of the great outdoors. Hearty appetites and a passion for travel inspired the Shepherd family to develop a unique, multipurpose cooker that offers convenience and endless cooking options.
What our customers say
Exactly what I was looking for- I was looking for something wood-fired and portable that I could take anywhere to boil water and cook a meal on and that could also be my home BBQ. The Pig is simpler and safer than a camp fire and a great back-up at home if everything goes down. I’ve only done BBQs so far and I’m enjoying the added wood-smoke taste. Looking forward to cooking more sophisticated meals down the track.
Series 2 - a genuine belter!Series 2 - a genuine belter! Loving my series 2! During my "burning in" tests it really does belt out some heat, one of the primary reasons for the purchase. Guaging heat, I've cooked a couple of hamburgers and some stove top coffee all with great success. My only suggestion is when you've finally decided to treat yourself to a piggy, super treat yourself and get as many of the accessories as you want at the same time. You'll want to use em and I guarantee you'll go back and buy them anyway. No sell, thats a fact, so go the full hog! (thats a pun) Great service, fast post and I'm genuinely looking forward to the colder weather kicking in.
Great bit of kitWe have the ozpig series 2 under a patio. Only just bought the house and the pig so we haven't got it in a specific final spot just yet. But having these extra offset and pieces helps keep smell and smoke (not that there is much using nice ironbark) definitely recommend this kit for use under a patio. Plus fast and easy postage made buying them easy as. 5 Stars
Big pig - loving itWe love our big pig . It’s so beautiful to sit around having the large opening and we are loving the smoker having started making beef jerky . We had a baby pig but this one is hands down the best