SERVES4 - 6
COOKING TIME30 min
RESTING TIME10 min
For the Steak:
4 x inch thick scotch fillet steaks
Generous amount Ozpig Pork and Beef Rub (I used these together)
2 tablespoons olive oil (generous amount to drizzle over steak before frying)
For the Rice:
2 cups basmati rice
3/4 teaspoon crumbled saffron threads
2 tablespoons boiling-hot water
1 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
½ red onion5 garlic cloves
3 cups chicken stock
cup dried currants
1 lime & ½ lemon for rind and juice
½ lime and ½ lemon for garnish
4 teaspoons sour cream
1 teaspoon salt
Ground pepper to taste
- Prepare Ozpig Big Pig or Series 2 for cooking. Season scotch fillets with Ozpig Pork and Beef Rubs. Allow to rest for 1 hour till at room temperature.
- Prepare vegetables – peel and crush garlic, peel and dice onion, chop herbs, slice capsicum. Zest and juice 1 lime and half a lemon (set aside)
- Place ¾ tsp of saffron into a small measuring jug, add 2 tablespoons of boiling-hot water and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a cast iron pot at medium heat. Add butter, garlic, onion and stir for a few minutes to soften.
- Add rice, stirring through, add saffron liquid, raisins and stock, salt and pepper and stir through, cover with lid or foil.
- APlace the cast iron pot in the belly of Ozpig, carefully moving the pot around in the coals every 5 minutes. Cook for 10 -12 min, remove pot and place on the OzPig flat plate. Open lid and drizzle in lemon/ lime juice and rind, return lid and finish cooking 5 - 8 minutes till rice has just cooked through.
- To cook the steak, have at room temperature, drizzle with oil. Ensure grill plate is sizzling hot. Use tongs to place steak down on one side cooking for 5 – 7 minutes, then turn once and cook for another 5 – 7 minutes. Remove onto butchers paper and wrap, allow to rest for 10 minutes, slice and drizzle with chopped herbs, lemon and lime segments and drizzle with lime juice.
- Enjoy the steak drizzled with lime and with saffron rice & sour cream.
Can coat steaks with rub and chill overnight.
Allow 1 hour for coals to form if cooking the rice in a cast iron pan in the belly of OzPig Big Pig. If making stock using stock powder follow the packet instructions.
Additional vegetables or slivered almonds can be added to the rice as desired.
A trivet can be put under the cast iron pot when in the belly of the Ozpig or when cooking on the flat plate.
Product Specification Table
|Specification||Traveller||Series 2||Big Pig|
(ground to top of chimney)
(ground to cooking surface)
(side to side)
|Cooking Surface||35cm x 25cm
|26cm diameter round plate &
34cm x 24cm large plate
|49cm x 21cm
Removable stove top
|Door Opening||26cm Diameter||26cm Diameter||41cm x 16cm|
|Chimney Length||3 x 350mm pieces||3 x 300mm pieces||3 x 450mm pieces|
THERE'S AN OZPIG FOR EVERYONE!
Choosing your Ozpig is just the beginning...
TIPS AND TRICKS
GET TO KNOW YOUR OZPIG
Ozpig stoves are tailor made for the outdoors. We created the Ozpig with a passion for the outdoors and a love for outdoor cooking and heating. With our unique open door, open top design, we have created outdoor stoves that give you flexibility in cooking while maximizing heat for your outdoor space.
OZPIG OVEN SMOKER BEGINNERS GUIDE
We're excited you're joining us on this journey and we want to provide you with expert guidance, tips and tricks. Here at the Ozpig Oven Smoker Beginners Guide, you'll find everything from temperature and time charts, to understanding different types of fuel and how they work. We're glad you're here, simply click the tiles below to get started!
3 YEAR WARRANTY
BUILT TOUGH TO WITHSTAND AUSSIE CONDITIONSThe Ozpig is born and bred in Australia and we know just how tough the conditions can be. With this knowledge behind us we’ve developed a 3 year limited structural warranty to give you piece of mind when it comes to buying your Ozpig. Unlike other cheaper products on the market only offering a 1 year warranty, we stand behind our product and know with the right care, your Ozpig will last as long you. Buy with Ozpig knowing you’re covered.
An Aussie Story
The Ozpig is a clever Aussie invention created by a family with a love of the great outdoors. Hearty appetites and a passion for travel inspired the Shepherd family to develop a unique, multipurpose cooker that offers convenience and endless cooking options.
What our customers say
Exactly what I was looking for- I was looking for something wood-fired and portable that I could take anywhere to boil water and cook a meal on and that could also be my home BBQ. The Pig is simpler and safer than a camp fire and a great back-up at home if everything goes down. I’ve only done BBQs so far and I’m enjoying the added wood-smoke taste. Looking forward to cooking more sophisticated meals down the track.
Series 2 - a genuine belter!Series 2 - a genuine belter! Loving my series 2! During my "burning in" tests it really does belt out some heat, one of the primary reasons for the purchase. Guaging heat, I've cooked a couple of hamburgers and some stove top coffee all with great success. My only suggestion is when you've finally decided to treat yourself to a piggy, super treat yourself and get as many of the accessories as you want at the same time. You'll want to use em and I guarantee you'll go back and buy them anyway. No sell, thats a fact, so go the full hog! (thats a pun) Great service, fast post and I'm genuinely looking forward to the colder weather kicking in.
Great bit of kitWe have the ozpig series 2 under a patio. Only just bought the house and the pig so we haven't got it in a specific final spot just yet. But having these extra offset and pieces helps keep smell and smoke (not that there is much using nice ironbark) definitely recommend this kit for use under a patio. Plus fast and easy postage made buying them easy as. 5 Stars
Big pig - loving itWe love our big pig . It’s so beautiful to sit around having the large opening and we are loving the smoker having started making beef jerky . We had a baby pig but this one is hands down the best