So succulent and tasty!
Salt Dough Lamb
Category Camp Oven Cooking
So succulent and tasty!
- Lamb Leg or shoulder
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 cup cooking salt
- 2 tbsp thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp Rosemary chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp sumac
- 3 minced garlic cloves or couple teaspoons bottled garlic olive oil
- 175ml water
- Mix flour, salt, half of the thyme leaves, 1 beaten egg and 175ml water in a bowl until combined. Mix into a dough until it forms a ball.
- Wrap in glad wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Brown the lamb in hot oil on all sides to seal. Let cool in refrigerator.
- Combine the remaining thyme leaves, chopped rosemary, sumac, garlic and olive oil.
- Roll out the dough large enough to the cover lamb, place cooled lamb in the middle, massage the herb, sumac, garlic and oil mix all over the lamb then season with pepper.
- Wrap dough around lamb sealing totally and making sure there are no holes.
- Place seam-side down on a trivet in the camp oven. Place the camp oven on your Ozpig with some coals/heat beads on lid. (I used a digital wireless thermometer for mine as it was the first time I have cooked it and had no idea if it would cook quicker or not being wrapped). You can't really check it without opening the pastry up. Our 2.7kg leg took nearly 2.5 hours.
- When cooked, cut the dough open and discard, let the meat rest then slice as normal.
What our customers say
Exactly what I was looking for- I was looking for something wood-fired and portable that I could take anywhere to boil water and cook a meal on and that could also be my home BBQ. The Pig is simpler and safer than a camp fire and a great back-up at home if everything goes down. I’ve only done BBQs so far and I’m enjoying the added wood-smoke taste. Looking forward to cooking more sophisticated meals down the track.
Series 2 - a genuine belter!Series 2 - a genuine belter! Loving my series 2! During my "burning in" tests it really does belt out some heat, one of the primary reasons for the purchase. Guaging heat, I've cooked a couple of hamburgers and some stove top coffee all with great success. My only suggestion is when you've finally decided to treat yourself to a piggy, super treat yourself and get as many of the accessories as you want at the same time. You'll want to use em and I guarantee you'll go back and buy them anyway. No sell, thats a fact, so go the full hog! (thats a pun) Great service, fast post and I'm genuinely looking forward to the colder weather kicking in.
Great bit of kitWe have the ozpig series 2 under a patio. Only just bought the house and the pig so we haven't got it in a specific final spot just yet. But having these extra offset and pieces helps keep smell and smoke (not that there is much using nice ironbark) definitely recommend this kit for use under a patio. Plus fast and easy postage made buying them easy as. 5 Stars
Big pig - loving itWe love our big pig . It’s so beautiful to sit around having the large opening and we are loving the smoker having started making beef jerky . We had a baby pig but this one is hands down the best